In late 19th century, Dr. Maximilian Bircher-Benner invented muesli in Switzerland. He recovered from jaundice after eating raw apples, and then he conducted experiments on human health and raw vegetables. In 1939, Weston A. Prince wrote in his book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, that the healthiest tribes he found include raw animal foods in their diet. In 1984, Leslie Kenton wrote a book, Raw Energy – Eat Your Way to Radiant Health. The book stressed raw food to prevent degenerative diseases, slow the aging process, boost emotional balance, and provide enhanced energy. Raw-foodism, or rawism, focuses on eating a larger percentage of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods.
How does it work?
Raw foods have natural enzymes and nutrients that help the body reach optimal health, and at the same time, you will lose 10 pounds in a week without exercise. There are not many people who eat 100% pure raw food, but a diet is considered to be a raw food diet when it involves at least 75% raw food. The way to reduce weight is to cut off as many calories as you can from your diet, but at the same time you have to maintain the required nutritional level. Raw vegetables and fruits fulfill most nutritional requirements. Green raw vegetables are the lowest in calories, and fruits can suppress hunger pangs with pectin and fiber. One of the causes of your fatness is acid. Green vegetables and herbs are alkalizing foods, and if you eat them, you lose weight and your pH levels increase, which will help you sustain your losses over time.
Organic foods because they are packed with nutrients as well as alkalizing minerals without the risk of exposure to pesticides.
On this diet, you must drink ample amounts of water, which is calorie free and will keep you hydrated.
Another benefit of raw food diet is that you can eat as often you want. Fruits, but vegetables especially, have a very low calorie content, so you can have as much as you need to feel full.
- A raw food diet can make you lose and maintain your weight.
- Raw food has many vitamins, minerals, and enzymes which will not let your energy level down, which can prevent fatigue and dizziness.
- If you maintain your water intake, you can avoid dehydration.
- You do not have to go hungry, because there is no restriction for number of times you eat.
- Some essential nutrients like calcium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B12 and D may be missing from your diet. Consider taking a daily multivitamin.
- Raw fruits and vegetables that are not organic are exposed to pesticides and insecticides, and the animals from which the raw meat comes are also given antibiotics and hormone doses. Therefore, you may get exposed to these chemicals if you eat raw foods that are not organic. Always carefully check your labels.
- May suffer from initial digestive problems as you grow accustomed to eating a raw food diet.
A raw food diet is an easy way to reduce weight and maintain it. It is also a healthy diet that cleanses your body from toxic substances. Keep in contact with your doctor to ensure that you are not experiencing any vitamin deficiencies. He or she may prescribe some supplements if they are needed.